Ingredients for Salmon Coulibiac (Russian Fish Pie):
- 3 oz (84 g) long grain rice
- ¼ pint (145 ml) boiling water
- Salt and pepper
- 3 oz (84 g) butter
- 1 medium onion
- 6 oz ((170 g) mushrooms
- 1 fluid ounce (25 ml) white wine
- 1 teaspoon dill seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 lb (450 g) cooked and skinned salmon fillet or 1 large tin red salmon
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 12 oz (340 g) puff pastry
- 1 egg
Method for Salmon Coulibiac (Russian Fish Pie):
- Cook the rice in boiling, salted, water until tender. Allow to cool.
- Peel and chop the onion finely and sauté in melted butter. Thinly slice the mushrooms and add to the onion.
- Add the wine, dill and parsley and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry and leave to rest while you chop the hard-boiled eggs and flake the fish.
- Arrange a layer of rice down the centre of the pastry, followed by the chopped eggs, onions, mushrooms and fish, one layer at a time.
- Fold one edge of the pastry into the middle, brush with beaten egg and fold the other edge on top. Press down gently to seal.
- Turn onto a greased baking tray, seam side down, and brush with egg.
- If there is any pastry left over, use to decorate the pie and brush once more with egg.
- Make a few holes in the top with a skewer so the steam can escape.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for about 30 minutes until risen and well browned.
- Allow to cool slightly and then slice.
Serves 4. Can be served either warm or cold but we think it works best as a warm main meal
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Puff pastry is similar to flaky pastry but has more layers and it's very rich - but light at the same time. Puff pastry is ideal for vol-au-vent cases and sweet or savoury pie crusts. Whilst...