Ingredients for Pickled Mushrooms:
- Spiced Vinegar (See Quick Spiced Vinegar Recipe)
Method for Pickled Mushrooms:
- Choose small mushrooms if you can. Otherwise cut larger ones into half or quarters. Wash the mushrooms and wipe clean.
- Layer with salt in a basin, finishing with a layer of salt.
- Leave for several hours, stirring occasionally.
- When the liquor has emerged from the mushrooms, pack into clean, sterilized jars with a little of the liquor and cover with cold spiced vinegar.
- Cover and label with contents and date.
Note: Best if left for at least 2 weeks before using to allow the mushroom flavours to develop and strengthen. It’s surprising how powerful the rich mushroom flavour becomes. Small chestnut mushrooms work better than the white button types.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for up to a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information on Pickles