Ingredients for Apple & Rosemary Jelly:
- 3 lbs (1.8 kg) crab or cooking apples
- 1 pint (570 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 lb (450 g) of sugar per pint of juice obtained.
Method for Apple & Rosemary Jelly:
- Wash the apples and wipe. Cut into quarters but do not remove the skin or core.
- Put the fruit into a pan with the water, rosemary leaves and cider vinegar.
- Stew until the fruit is pulpy.
- Test for Pectin
- Turn into a jelly bag and leave to strain overnight
- Measure the juice and heat in a pan.
- Add 1 lb (450 g) warmed sugar to each pint juice, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the jelly sets when tested.
- Remove the scum.]
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.
Makes about 3 lbs (1.4 kg) of Apple & Rosemary Jelly. A few drops of green food colouring can be added during the cooking process if you want.
This jelly has a subtle flavour and is gorgeous with lamb, pork, or chicken. You can also make this recipe using a big bunch of lemon thyme instead of rosemary, the more lemon thyme you put in the more lemony the flavour.