Ingredients for Stuffed Marrow Rings:
- 1 short thick marrow(about 2lb)
- 3 oz butter/margarine
- 2 oz mushrooms
- 4 oz lean cooked ham
- 1 level dessert spoon chopped parsley
- ¼ level teaspoon dried summer savory
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 dessert-spoons fresh white breadcrumbs
Method for Stuffed Marrow Rings:
- Wash the marrow and wipe it dry, remove the peel unless the marrow is very young and tender then cut into rings about 2 inch thick. Spoon out the seeds.
- Butter a large oven-proof dish thoroughly and arrange the marrow rings in this in a single layer.
- Trim the mushrooms and chop them roughly. Dice the ham.
- Heat 1 oz of the butter in a pan and lightly fry the mushrooms and ham for 2-3 minutes. Add the parsley and savory. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in enough breadcrumbs to bind the stuffing.
- Lightly sprinkle the marrow rings with salt pepper before filling them with stuffing. Dot with remaining butter and cover the dish tightly with foil so that the marrow will cook in its own steam.
- Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven at 375*f (gas mark 5) for 45 minutes or until the rings are tender.
Serve the marrow rings straight from the dish, with a hot cheese or tomato sauce.
Be careful not to overcook this recipe or the marrow will turn to mush and spoil a very nice meal.