Recipe for Easy Microwave Jam sent in by: Suezie
Ingredients for Easy Microwave Jam
- 500g strawberries (works equally well with other berries too)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (approx 1 and ½ lemons)
- 2 cups sugar (1lb)
Method for Easy Microwave Jam:
- Place small saucer in freezer Wash and prepare fruit and place in a LARGE microwave bowl with lemon juice.
- Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes until fruit softens slightly.
- Stir in sugar and microwave on high for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Drop small amount onto cold saucer and check for setting point – this will be slightly thinner than normal.
- Add 5 minutes more cooking on high if necessary (can vary for different fruits).
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Spoon into hot sterilised jars, seal and label. Yields 2 cups (2 average size jam jars)
Prior to starting the jam making I use sterilising tablets (used for baby bottles) to sterilise jars easily and then lay them in the oven on lowest setting ready for filling.
This jam will seem runnier than normal but cooking continues during standing time and it sets well once in jars and cooled.
It works well with strawberries and gooseberries and the raspberries are almost ready so will be trying those next.
Will produce 4 smaller jars from one batch if you’re into sharing or have smaller household. I am a first time jam maker and have had 100% success with this recipe!
General Information on Jam Making