Recipe for Rhubarb Ripple semi-freddo submitted by Lettice.
Originating from an old 1970’s Italian cook book.
A frozen dessert made with rhubarb and double or whipped cream.
Ingredients for Rhubarb Ripple semi-freddo:
1 loaf tin, lined with either cling film or baking parchment
- 4-5 stalks of rhubarb
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp ginger cordial (it’s expensive, no-one likes it to drink and so wasteful), so an alternative is just 3 tbsp of water and a few pinches of ground ginger
- 100g icing sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300ml double cream or whipped cream
- 100g broken meringue
Method for Rhubarb Ripple semi-freddo:
- Cook about 5-6 sticks of chopped rhubarb with caster sugar, the ginger cordial or its alternative.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the icing sugar and egg yolk until they thicken.
- In another bowl add the whipped cream. Fold in the egg yolk mix and then fold in the egg whites and half of the meringue.
- Put a third of the mixture in the loaf tin and freeze for 30 minutes. Best to keep the other 2/3 of cream cold in the fridge at that time.
- Take tin out of freezer, it should be set, then pour in half of the rhubarb mix and another 1/3 of the cream mix on top and back in the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Out of the freezer, add the remaining rhubarb and the the cream and put back in freezer for a few hours.
- Out of freezer and serve, its traditional at this time to add the remaining meringue pieces and any decoration you wish.
We drizzle a little honey or golden syrup on the top.