An unusual but delicious jelly that is great with cold meats, especially lamb and chicken. Also goes well with prawns and cream cheese.
Ingredients for Sweet Pepper Jelly:
- 1 lb (450 g) red peppers, cored and seeded
- 1 lb (450 g) green peppers, cored and seeded
- 2½ lb (1.125 kg) sugar
- ¼ pint (140 ml) cider vinegar
- ¼ pint (140 ml) lemon juice
- 6 fl oz (170 ml) pectin stock
Method for Sweet Pepper Jelly:
- Put the peppers into an electric blender and blend until very finely chopped, or mince twice, collecting the juices.
- Place in a large pan with the sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and bring back to the boil, stirring frequently. Boil rapidly for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pectin stock and strain through a jelly bag, or two thickness’s of muslin in a sieve.
- Collect in a heated bowl, skim, pour into small, hot sterilised jars and cover.
Makes around 3 lb (1.4 kg) of Sweet Pepper Jelly.
General Information on Making Jelly Preserves
How to Make Jam, Jellies & Marmalade
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...
Pectin - How to Test for Pectin
Pectin is the main agent that causes jams, jellys and marmalades to set. Pectin is known as a gelling agent. Different fruits contain different amounts of pectin and that pectin level will also vary according to the season and also the ripeness of the...
Leave a Comment Here on Sweet Pepper Jelly Recipe