Ingredients for Spiced Lentil and Vegetable Curry:
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
- 1 lb (450 g) courgettes, trimmed and diced
- 1 medium aubergine, cubed
- 4 oz (112 g) red lentils
- 1 lb (450 g) ripe tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped / puréed
- ½ pint (285 ml) water
- Salt and pepper
Method for Spiced Lentil and Vegetable Curry:
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes until just softened.
- Add the seeds, turmeric and chilli powder with a little water. Stir in the ginger and cooks for 1 or 2 minutes until the seeds are lightly roasted.
- Add the courgettes and aubergine and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix in the lentils and cook for a further minute or so.
- Add the finely chopped tomato and water.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are well cooked. Check on the liquid content from time to time and add more water if necessary.
- Adjust the seasoning before serving.
Serve with brown rice, pita or naan. Nice drizzled with a bit of coconut cream or plain yoghurt over the top before serving. Enough for 4 people.