The perfect accompaniment to your sandwiches and cold meats. Also an excellent way to use up some of the glut of cucumbers!
Ingredients for Bread and Butter Pickles:
- 4 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 oz (56 g) salt
- 1 pint (570 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 4 red pepper strips
Method for Bread and Butter Pickles:
- Arrange the cucumber slices, in layers, in a wide shallow dish, sprinkling each layer generously with salt. Cover and set aside overnight.
- Drain the cucumber slices and then rinse in cold running water and put to one side.
- Put all the remaining ingredients, except the pepper strips, into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes and then add the cucumber.
- Bring back to the boil and then remove from the heat.
- Strain the cucumber from the vinegar mixture and transfer to hot sterilized jars. Top with the pepper strips.
- Pour over enough of the vinegar mixture to come within ½ inch (1.25 cm) of the top and seal.
Makes about 4 lb (1.8 kg) of Bread and Butter Pickles.
For More Information on Pickles and Relishes:
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...