Particularly good with both ham and lamb dishes but can also accompany cheeses.
Ingredients for Courgette and Onion Pickle:
- 1 lb (450 g) small courgettes
- ¾ pint (430 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 oz (28 g) sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 oz (112 g) small pickling onions
Method for Courgette and Onion Pickle:
- Cut the courgettes in half lengthways and then into quarters.
- Put the vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns and water in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the courgettes and onions, bring back to simmering point, stirring.
- Using a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into hot sterilized jars and cover with the vinegar mixture.
- Cover and seal.
Makes about 1½ lbs (675 g) of Courgette and Onion Pickle.
For More Information on Pickles and Relishes:
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
Leave a Comment Here on Courgette and Onion Pickle Recipe