A tasty savoury bake that serves 4. Garnish with tomato wedges and parsley sprigs.
Ingredients for Savoury Courgette Bake:
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 8 oz (225 g) courgettes, thinly sliced
- 8 oz (225 g) tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ oz (40 g) plain flour
- ¾ pint (430 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 4 oz (112 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 oz (56 g) fresh breadcrumbs
Method for Savoury Courgette Bake:
- Cook the onion in ½ oz (14 g) of the butter until just soft.
- Place half of the courgettes into a 3 pint (1.75 litre) oven-proof dish, cover with half the onion and the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the mixed herbs and seasoning, then top with the remaining onion and courgettes.
- Make a sauce by melting the remaining butter in a pan, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens and boils.
- Season with salt and pepper and add 3 oz (84 g) of the grated cheese. Pour the sauce over the vegetables.
- Mix together the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs, sprinkle over the sauce.
- Cook uncovered in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Garnish with tomato wedges and parsley sprigs.