As well as the beans and rice, another way to use peppers, courgettes and aubergines.
Ingredients for Haricot Bean and Rice Casserole:
- 6 oz (170 g) haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1 ½ pints (860 ml) vegetable stock (you can use stock cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 8 oz (225 g) courgettes, sliced
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 aubergine, halved and sliced
- ¼ pint (140 ml) unsweetened apple juice or dry cider
- 6 oz (170 g) long-grain easy cook brown rice
- Salt and ground black pepper
Method for Haricot Bean and Rice Casserole:
Drain the beans and rinse. Place in a flame-proof casserole with the stock and seasoning.
Bring to the boil on the hob, cover and simmer for about 1 hour until the beans are tender but have retained their shape.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onion, courgettes and peppers for a couple of minutes. Add the aubergine slices a few at a time and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Transfer the vegetables to the bean casserole, together with the apple juice/cider and rice. Stir well.
Cover and cook in a pre-heated oven Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F for about 45 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve.