Ingredients for Broccoli (Calabrese) and Rice Souffle:
- 4 oz (112 g) calabrese, cut into small florets
- ½ oz (14 g) butter
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 8 fl oz (225 ml) hot milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Ground black pepper
- 2 oz (56 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ½ oz (70 g) cooked rice
- 3 eggs, separated
Method for Broccoli (Calabrese) and Rice Soufflé:
- Steam the calabrese florets until just tender. Refresh under cold, running water. Drain and put to one side.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add onion and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and and gradually whisk in the hot milk.
- Return the pan to heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Stir in nutmeg and black pepper to taste.
- Beat the egg yolks into the sauce, then add the calabrese, cheese and rice. Mix well to combine.
- Put the egg whites into a large bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Stir about a ¼ of the egg whites into the sauce and then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Spoon the soufflé mixture into four light greased 6 fl oz (170 ml) capacity soufflé dishes and bake in a pre-heated oven Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F for 25 minutes or until the soufflés are puffed and golden.
Serve immediately in the individual soufflé dishes accompanied by a mixed salad.