Enough for 4. Serve hot garnished with parsley and accompany with a side salad.
Ingredients for Macaroni and Aubergine Layer:
- 12 oz (340 g) aubergines, sliced
- 6 oz (170 g) macaroni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz (225 g) tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ pint (140 ml) natural yoghurt
- ¼ pint (140 ml) semi-skimmed milk
- 6 oz (170 g) grated hard cheese (cheddar)
Method for Macaroni and Aubergine Layer:
- Sprinkle the aubergine slices with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water for around 8 minutes until al-dente, drain.
- Rinse and dry the aubergines.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and quickly toss the aubergine and onion slices in the oil for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the garlic.
- Mix the yoghurt, milk and two-thirds of the cheese.
- Layer the aubergine and onions, pasta and tomatoes in an oven-proof dish, seasoning the layers.
- Pour in the yoghurt mixture and top with the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F for about 45 minutes until golden.
Serves 4. Accompany with a side salad.