A lightly-spiced vegetable pilau that makes a delicious, low-calorie one-pot meal.
Ingredients for Vegetable Pilau:
- 8 oz (225 g) basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 oz (56 g) peas
- 2 oz (56 g) sweetcorn kernels
- 1 oz (28 g) cashew nuts, lightly fried
- 16 fluid oz (475 ml) water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Method for Vegetable Pilau:
- Wash the rice in several changes of cold water, put into a bowl and cover with water and leave it soaking while you get everything else ready. (For about 30 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok (must be one with a lid).
- Fry the cumin seeds for 2 minutes, add the bay leaves, cardamoms and cloves and fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the finely diced onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened and slightly browned.
- Stir in the carrot and cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add to the pan, together with the peas, sweetcorn and cashew nuts. Fry for 4 or 5 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the water, ground cumin and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes, covered, over a low heat until all the water is absorbed.
- Leave to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 4 – 6.