A filling, satisfying meal for 4.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Lasagne:
- 8 lasagne sheets
- 8 oz (225 g) green lentils
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 4 oz (112 g) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 14 oz (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons died oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 fluid oz (200 ml) vegetable stock (vegetable stock cubes can be used)
- Sprinkling of parmesan cheese (optional)
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 pint (600 ml) milk (full fat works better)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 6 oz (160 g) grated hard cheese such as cheddar (mature works better)
- Ground black pepper
Method for Vegetarian Lasagne:
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 350°F/180°C.
- Cooks the lentils in boiling water until soft, takes about 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils, tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, oregano and paprika and stir thoroughly.
- Leave to simmer gently for 15 minutes or so.
To make the Cheese Sauce:
- Combine the cornflour with a little milk until smooth (this can be done in a jug).
- Top up with the remaining milk and stir in some ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a saucepan and add 4 oz (112 g) of the grated cheese.
- Heat gently, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until it thickens.
- Bring slowly to the boil and a simmer for another minute.
To make up the Lasagne:
- Grease a square or oblong oven-proof dish and put half of the lentil mix into the bottom.
- Cover with 4 sheets of the lasagne.
- Pour over half the sauce.
- Add the remaining lentil mix and cover with the remaining 4 sheets of lasagne.
- Pour over the remaining sauce.
- Top up with the remaining grated cheese
- Sprinkle with parmesan if using.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
Green lentils are used for as they keep their shape better than red ones. You can replace the mushrooms with other veg that you have available, diced peppers and/or thinly sliced courgettes work well, or have the lot!
Freezes well. We divide into 4 square/oblong portions and freeze separately so we have a “ready meal” when pushed for time. Simply re-heat in the micro.
Serve with a fresh, green salad.