A delicious vegetarian risotto that is full of flavour and has a zingy, zesty taste.
Ingredients for Leek, Mushroom and Lemon Risotto:
- 8 oz (225 g) trimmed leeks
- 8 oz (225 g) mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 oz (84 g) butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 12 oz (340 g) arborio rice
- 2 pints (1.2 litres) hot vegetable stock (you can use vegetable stock cubes)
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 oz (56 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) mixed chopped chives and flat leaf parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Method for Leek, Mushroom and Lemon Risotto:
- Wash the leeks well. Slice in half lengthways and roughly chop.
- Wash the mushroom and dry with kitchen roll. Roughly chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and baste the crushed garlic for a minute or two.
- Add the leeks, mushrooms and plenty of seasoning and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until softened and browned.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add half of the butter to the pan and cook the onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook for about a minute. Add a ladleful of the hot stock to the rice and cook gently, stirring until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in more liquid as each ladleful is absorbed. This will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Return the leeks, mushrooms and garlic to the pan. Stir in the remaining butter, grated lemon rind and 3 tablespoons of the juice.
- Add half of the parmesan and herbs, stir and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Serve, sprinkled with the remaining parmesan and herbs.
Great recipe, made enough for 6 portions. I used about 350g mix of ordinary and chestnut mushrooms. In Covid lock down so we didn’t have parmesan but I used hard goats cheese instead. We didn’t have access to any of the herbs so left them out. It was still very tasty.
Really delicious, I made it in my pressure cooker so only took 15 minutes.I love lemon just the right amount to make such a tasty difference. Thank you for sharing it.