A vegetarian main course meal that serves 4 when accompanied with fried potatoes.
Ingredients for Mushroom and Egg Savoury:
- 8 oz (259 g) mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 6 medium free range eggs
- 2 level tablespoons parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large tomatoes – sliced
- 4 oz (100 g) crumbled Lancashire or Cheshire cheese
Method for Mushroom and Egg Savoury:
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Peel if you prefer. Leave the stalks in unless too long.
- Arrange in a frying pan and pour in the milk.
- Bring just to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Transfer the mushrooms into a 1 pint (½ litre) buttered heatproof dish.
- Beat the eggs into the mushroom liquor and add parsley and salt.
- Return to the heat and scramble lightly until creamy.
- Spoon over the mushrooms. Top with slices of tomato.
- Sprinkle thickly with the crumbled cheese.
- Brown under a hot grill.