Ingredients for Curried Creamed Parsnip Crumble:
- 6 medium parsnips
- 3 tbls butter
- 2 tbls plain flour
- 1 cup double or whipping cream
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt & white pepper mix
- 1 cup buttered bread crumbs
Method for Curried Creamed Parsnip Crumble:
- Scrub the parsnips clean
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender, in lightly salted water and drain.
- Scrape off the outer skin, split the parsnips lengthwise, and pull out the stringy cores.
- Place the parsnips in a shallow baking dish, and cover with a sauce made with the butter, flour, curry powder and cream,
- Add salt and pepper mix.
- Cover the top with the bread crumbs and bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve in the baking dish.
A great recipe for a creamy parsnip crumble with a curry twist.
If you find yourself with stale bread, let it dry out and then rub into crumbs or use a food processor to crumb it. Bag up and keep in the freezer until required.
Don’t forget parsnips taste much sweeter after they’ve been frosted. The frost makes them turn starches into sugars.