Recipe for Swede on a Stick sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Swede on a Stick:
- 2 tablespoons nut or vegetable oil
- 1 Swede (large), peeled and cut into bite size cubes
- 4 rosemary/sage stalks (soaked in water first to stop them burning )
- 1 large orange, juice only
- 1 large orange, peeled and segmented
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground lemon or black pepper, to season
Method for Swede on a Stick:
- Boil Swede in plenty of salted water for 7-8 mins (until tender)
- Drain and cool
- Skewer the Swede onto the rosemary/sage stalks, to make four skewers.
- Heat the oil in a ridged griddle pan over a medium heat. (or any good sauté pan)
- Char grill the skewers in the pan for 5-6 minutes, turning over half way.
- Mix the orange juice, orange segments and sugar together and pour in to the pan. Cook for a further few minutes turning the sticks again, until the Swede is golden.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the Swede skewers and orange wedges to serving dish.
- Season with lemon/black pepper and serve
Use woody stalks of Rosemary or Sage for the skewers