Ingredients for Spaghetti with Broccoli and Garlic:
- 1 lb (450 g) broccoli
- Olive oil ( about 3 fl oz – 75 ml)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint (570 ml) water
- 12 oz (350 g) spaghetti
Method for Spaghetti with Broccoli and Garlic:
- Trim the woody bits from the broccoli and then break into small florets.
- Put the olive oil and crushed garlic in a heavy-based frying pan and fry over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the garlic is golden but not brown, add the broccoli, the water and the spaghetti broken into 2″ (5 cm) lengths.
- Mix well and then cover the pan and cook over moderate heat for about 10 minutes – stirring occasionally so that the pasta does not stick to the pan.
- Serve hot.
This Spaghetti with Broccoli and Garlic Recipe serves 4. It makes a great main course meal sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and served with a mixed side salad.
Although we had this recipe down as spaghetti with broccoli, it actually works best with calabrese – the Italian brassica that is often called broccoli in the shops. Technically broccoli only refers to the early sprouting brassica native to Britain which has a different texture, being softer.
Calabrese holds together better in the cooking process and more bite.