Petits Pois à La Française
Ingredients for French-Style Peas:
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 2 rashers of streaky bacon, diced
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 8 outside lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1 lb peas (after podded)
- 2 sprigs of mint
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons water
Method for French-Style Peas:
- Melt the butter in a flame-proof casserole and gently fry the bacon and spring onions until the onion is soft.
- Add the lettuce leaves and stir over a low heat until it is bright green.
- Add the peas, mint, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the water, cover tightly, and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes or so until the peas are tender.
If you want to make these quickly you can use frozen peas. Just before the end of the cooking time you can stir in a couple of tablespoons of crème fraiche and gently mix – allowing to heat back through for a a couple of minutes.
This French-Style Peas Recipe – Peas, Lettuce & Bacon makes 4 good helpings. So much more interesting than just boiled peas. The French seem to know something about cooking judging by this recipe!