Ingredients for Spinach Gratin:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ lbs (675 g) chopped spinach
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 oz (28 g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 oz (56 g) mature cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice, grated
Method for Spinach Gratin:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy pan. Add the washed spinach, garlic and a little salt and pepper.
- Cook uncovered for 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the water from the spinach has evaporated. Leave to cool slightly.
- Stir in the beaten egg over gentle heat, adding a little more salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread in an oiled dish and level the surface.
- Mix together the cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining oil and place under a pre-heated grill for 5 minutes until the topping is golden and bubbling.
- Serve hot.
This Spinach Gratin Recipe makes 4 good helpings of this delicious and healthy spinach cheese dish.
Spinach, as anyone old enough to remember Popeye knows, is very good for you. Spinach is actually a good source of dietary fibre and of vitamins K and A.
In addition spinach provides: magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, E along with calcium, potassium and phosphorus. Sounds like a good plant fertiliser!
I am only cooking for 1 so it could be helpful to know roughly how many people this would feed as I recall the quantities of fresh/cooked spinach to be deceptive
4 large portions.