Ingredients for Deep Fried Parsnip Sticks:
- 4 small parsnips
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Dry breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
Method for Deep Fried Parsnip Sticks:
- Peel the parsnips and cut into short sticks about ½” (1 cm) thick.
- Parboil in salted water for about 8 minutes and then drain well and leave to cool.
- Beat the egg with a little salt and pepper.
- Dip the parsnips sticks into the seasoned flour and shake off surplus, then dip into the egg, roll in breadcrumbs and chill for 10 minutes to set the coating.
- Heat the oil to 180°C/350°F and fry the parsnip sticks until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen roll and serve at once.
This Deep Fried Parsnip Sticks Recipe makes a lovely side dish (if rather fattening!) or as an accompaniment to grilled chops or sausages or a roast beef joint.