Ingredients for Irish Potato Cakes:
- 1 lb (450 g) floury potatoes
- 2 oz butter
- Salt and pepper
- Plain flour
- Oil or butter for frying
Method for Irish Potato Cakes:
- Peel and potatoes and cook until tender.
- Drain and shake the pan over the heat for a moment to dry the potatoes.
- Mash well and, while still hot, beat in the butter.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and work in enough flour to bring to a dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 and pat each part into a round of about ½” (1 cm) thick on a floured board and then cut each circle into quarters.
- Make sure that the frying pan is well greased and heated through and then cook the potato cakes for about 5 minutes each side until nicely brown.
Suggestion: Split each potato cake in two and fill with a slice of butter. Lovely with sausages, bacon and tomatoes for a hearty breakfast – at any time of day.
Irish potato cakes can be frozen for at least a month, probably longer. Once they are cooked let them cool completely pop them in a suitable bag or container. Defrost thoroughly before re-griddling them on a low heat.