Ingredients for Potato Pancakes:
- 1½ lb (675 g) potatoes, grated
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Oil for frying
Method for Potato Pancakes:
- Rinse the grated potatoes, then put them into a clean tea towel and wring the towel to extract as much moisture as possible.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and stir in the eggs. Sift the flour and salt together and mix into the potatoes with the nutmeg.
- Heat enough oil in a heavy frying pan to give a depth of about ¼” (5mm).
- Divide the potato mixture into 4 and press the first quarter into the oil, pressing down with the back of a fish slice to make a flat pancake.
- Cook over a medium heat until brown and crisp on the bottom, then turn and brown the other side.
- Drain on kitchen paper while you cook the other 3 pancakes in the same way, renewing the oil as necessary.
- Serve hot.
This Potato Pancakes Recipe makes 4 pancakes. Nice with sour cream and apple sauce.
Potato pancakes can also be made with left-over mashed potato.