Ingredients for Cream of Pumpkin Soup:
- 1 pumpkin (4-5 lbs/1.8-2.3 kgs in weight)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- ½ pint (285 ml) double cream
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 2 pints (1.1 litres) water
Method for Cream of Pumpkin Soup:
- Wash the pumpkin and then cut the top off to form a lid. Remove the pulp from inside the pumpkin lid.
- Remove the seeds from inside the pumpkin and discard.
- Scoop away most of the solid flesh from the pumpkin using a small, sharp knife., leaving a sturdy wall of pumpkin, being careful not to cut through it. Put the shell to one side.
- Peel and slice the onion, Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion to it. Cook gently until tender.
- Chop up all of the pulp of the pumpkin and add to the onion with about 2 pints of cold water.
- Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Put the mixture through a blender in several small batches.
- Return the mix to the pot and add the cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Re-heat the soup and pour into the reserved pumpkin shell.
- Serve hot.
You don’t have to serve it in its shell but it goes down well with kids this way.