Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie:
- 6 oz (175 g) fleur pastry
- 1 lb (450 g) cooked and mashed pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- ½ pint (285 ml) evaporated milk
- 4 oz (112 g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- A few pecan halves for decoration
Method for Pumpkin Pie:
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly-floured surface to about a 11 ” (28 cm) circle. Wrap it around a lightly-floured rolling pin and lower into a 10″ (25 cm) round pie dish. Press the pastry into the dish and flute or crimp the edge with a fork. Prick the base lightly with the tines of a fork.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Pour into the pie crust and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (220°C/425°F) for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to Gas Mak 4 (180°C/350°F) and continue to bake for a further 40-50 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Nice if decorated with a circle of pecan halves.
This pumpkin pie is lovely warm or cold with some whipping cream. Don’t forget the recipe calls for 1 lb of cooked and mashed pumpkin, not a pumpkin weighing a pound.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These articles compliment our recipes section. Fleur pastry is usually used for sweet flans such as peach and apricot. It can, however, also be used in place of normal shortcrust pastry , without the sugar, for a slightly richer savoury flan or ...