Ingredients for Grape Conserve with Port:
- 2 lb (900 g) seedless grapes
- 2 lb (900 g) sugar
- 1½ pints (900 ml) port
Method for Grape Conserve with Port:
- Wash the grapes and remove any stalks.
- Put into a pan with the sugar and port.
- Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then boil carefully, stirring often until the grapes are soft and the syrup becomes very thick.
- Allow to cool slightly and then pour into small, hot sterilized jars and seal.
- Label when cool.
This Grape Conserve with Port Recipe Makes about 2½ lbs( 1.125 kg) of conserve. A lovely gift if you can bring yourself to give it away!
Help Making Fruit Conserves
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...