Ingredients for Peach Conserve with Brandy:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) ripe peaches
- ¼ lb (112 g) slivered almonds
- 3 oz (84 g) glace cherries
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2½ lb (1.15 kg) sugar
- 5 tablespoons brandy
- ½ pint (300 ml) pectin stock
Method for Peach Conserve with Brandy :
- Peel, stone and cut the peaches into smallish pieces, collecting all of the juice.
- Put into a pan with the almonds, cherries, lemon rind and juice and a pinch of ground cinnamon.
- Add the sugar and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the brandy and pectin stock.
- Leave to cool slightly for 5 minutes and then stir again.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and cover.
- Label when cool.
This Peach Conserve with Brandy Recipe Makes about 5 lbs (2.3 kg) of conserve. A lovely gift if you can bring yourself to giving it away!
Help Making Fruit Conserves
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...
Pectin is what is known as a gelling agent, in other words it causes things to gel or our jam to set. It occurs naturally in some fruits and is absent in others so we need to keep that in mind when making our jams and add as necessary. You can...