An unusual soup made of raw vegetables and served cold. Originates in the southern Spanish region of Andalusia – where the weather is almost as hot as that of west Wales.
Ingredients for Gazpacho Soup:
- 1 medium green or red pepper
- 6 or 7 medium tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 medium onion
- 2 or 3 slices of slightly stale bread – crust removed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pint water
- 1 or 2 gloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Method for Gazpacho Soup:
- Seed the pepper and roughly chop. Peel the tomatoes, cucumber and onion and chop. Break the bread into small pieces.
- Put all of the prepared vegetables in a deep bowl with the bread and mix together thoroughly.
- Add the vinegar, water, salt, pepper and crushed garlic.
- Pour into a blender, half at a time, and puree for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Put the puree into a clean bowl and gradually beat in the olive oil using a whisk.
- Cover lightly and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Before serving, whisk the soup to ensure that all the ingredients are blended.
This Gazpacho Soup Recipe serves 4 – No cooking at all. Perfect served al fresco on a hot summer’s day.
Just made this for lunch, following the recipe exactly ( I used a red pepper). My husband, who considers himself an aficionado on gazpacho, praised it and wants it be on the menu frequently. *****