Ingredients for Battered Stuffed Peppers:
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped sage
- 4 oz (112 g) cream cheese
- 4 oz (112 g) grated cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz plain flour
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
- Oil for deep frying
Method for Battered Stuffed Peppers:
- Blanch the whole peppers in boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes until just tender.
- Rinse in cold water and pat dry. Carefully cut around the stems to make a top and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and cores, leaving the peppers intact.
- Mix the garlic, sage, cheeses and salt and pepper to taste. Fill the peppers using a small teaspoon and replace the tops, sticking them into the filling.
- Sieve the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Drop in the egg and add the milk. Beat to a smooth batter.
- Heat the oil to 375°F/180°. Dip each pepper into the batter allowing excess to run off. Fry the peppers until golden, drain well and serve.
This Battered Stuffed Peppers Recipe serves 4. Nice with a mixed salad