Ingredients for Chicken Stuffed Peppers:
- 2 large green, red, or yellow peppers
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 12 oz (340 g) stale bread
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 teaspoons dry breadcrumbs
Method for Chicken Stuffed Peppers:
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the cores and seeds.
- Peel and chop the onion finely, crush the garlic, skin and bone the chicken and dice into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion, garlic and chicken breast and cook over a moderate heat until the vegetables are softened and the chicken is cooked through. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the stale bread into crumbs and add to the pan, with enough beaten egg to make the mixture hold together.
- Spoon fill each pepper half with the mixture, mounding the top slightly.
- Put the peppers in a casserole dish that holds them close together.
- Pour water down the side of the dish to about ½” (1.25 cm) up the sides of the peppers.
- Cover and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for about 45 minutes until the peppers are just tender.
- Sprinkle each with dried breadcrumbs and put under a pre-heated grill until golden brown.
This Chicken Stuffed Peppers Recipe makes enough for 4 people.
Serve piping hot with a mixed salad and possibly potato salad or new potatoes or baked potato. Or a rice salad.