Ingredients for Sweetcorn and Potato Soup:
- 6 medium potatoes
- Chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 oz (112 g) cooked ham, chopped
- 4 ears of fresh sweetcorn
- 1½ pints (870 ml) milk
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley for garnish
Method for Sweetcorn and Potato Soup:
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and put into a deep saucepan. Peel and finely chop the onion and put in with the potatoes and enough stock to cover.
- Bring to the boil and then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving about ¾ pint (430 ml) of the cooking liquid. Mash the potatoes and return to the reserved cooking liquid.
- Remove the husks and silk off the sweetcorn and stand on end. Use a large, sharp knife and cut against the cob vertically to scrape off the kernels.
- Add the sweetcorn kernels and milk to the potato mixture and bring almost to the boil. Make certain that you don’t boil rapidly or the corn will toughen. Allow to cook through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, garnished with parsley.
This Sweetcorn and Potato Soup Recipe serves 4 – 6. A very filling soup.