Ingredients for Red Pepper and Kidney Bean Soup:
- 2 large or 3 smaller red peppers
- ½ lb (225 g) dried kidney beans
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2½ pints (1.4 litres) vegetable stock
Method for Red Pepper and Kidney Bean Soup:
- Soak the kidney beans overnight in enough water to cover or boil for a couple of minutes and then soak for an hour.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion, chop the celery and de-seed the peppers and chop finely.
- Drain off the liquid on the kidney beans and add the onions, celery, bay leave(s), salt and pepper, red peppers and stock.
- Bring to the boil over high heat, stirring occaionally, and then reduce the heat to a simmer, partially covered, for 2 to 3 hours until the beans are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and either push through a sieve or put through a blender.
- Return to the pan and re-heat without boiling.
- Serve hot.
This Red Pepper and Kidney Bean Soup Recipe serves 4. Nice when garnished with some chopped hard-boiled egg and accompanied with some crusty bread.
Note: Make sure that the beans are thoroughly cooked. Spice it up by adding a chilli pepper to the ingredients.