Ingredients for Teacakes:
- 12 oz (340 g) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ oz (20 g) butter or margarine
- ½ oz (14 g) fresh yeast or ¼ (7 g) dried
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- ½ pint (300 ml) whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 2 oz (56 g) currants
- Melted butter or sugar syrup for the glaze
Method for Teacakes:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl, rub in the fat, and mix in the currants. Leave in a warm place.
- Cream the yeast with 1 teaspoon caster sugar and most of the warmed milk. Leave until frothy.
- Make a well in the centre of the warmed flour, add the yeast mixture and mix to a soft dough, adding more warmed milk if necessary.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead with the hands to mix well.
- Sprinkle with flour, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead well until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces, knead again and shape into buns.
- Flatten each bun and put on a warmed, greased and lightly floured baking tray, cover with a clean cloth and leave to prove for 15 -20 minutes.
- Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven set at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 15 minutes.
- Glaze with melted butter or sugar syrup as soon as removed from the oven and transfer onto a wire tray to cool.
Leave a Comment Here on Teacakes Recipe