Ingredients for Chelsea Buns:
- 8 oz (225 g) plain white flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 oz (56 g) caster sugar
- ½ oz (14 g) fresh yeast or ¼ (7 g) dried yeast
- ¼ pint (150 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 1 egg
- 2 oz (56 g) butter or margarine
- 1 oz (28 g) sultanas
- 1 oz (28 g) currants
- 1 oz (28 g) chopped candied peel
Method for Chelsea Buns:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl and leave in a warm place.
- Cream the yeast with 1 teaspoon caster sugar, beat the egg and make up to ¼ (150 ml) with warm milk, add to the yeast mixture. Leave until frothy.
- Make a well in the centre of the warmed flour, add the yeast mixture and mix to a soft dough, adding more warmed milk if necessary.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead with the hands to mix well.
- Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead well until it is smooth.
- Roll out to an oblong and cover two-thirds of the strip with half fat and sugar.
- Fold the uncovered third up and the covered third down over the first fold.
- Seal the edges and give the dough a half turn.
- Repeat the process once more using the remaining fat and sugar.
- Roll out to a square about ¼” thick.
- Sprinkle evenly with fruit and roll up.
- Cut the roll into ½” slices and put close together on a warmed, greased and lightly floured baking tray, with the cut side uppermost.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave to prove in a warm place until the sides of the slices touch each other.
- Brush with beaten egg and dredge lightly with caster sugar.
- Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven set at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer onto a wire tray to cool.
This Chelsea Buns Recipe makes 6 to 8 buns. Perfect served lightly buttered whilst still warm.
everything about it was good, BUT…………….. IT DID NOT PUT HOW MANY IT MAKES!!!!!