Ingredients for Aubergine and Tomato Pie:
- 2 lb (900 g) aubergines
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb (450 g) tomatoes
- ¼ pint (150 ml) plain yogurt
- 4 oz (112 g) cottage cheese
- 1 oz (28 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
Method for Aubergine and Tomato Pie:
- Slice the aubergines, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain over the sink in a colander for about 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until softened. Crush the garlic and add to the onions.
- Blanch and peel the tomatoes and chop – removing the seeds if preferred. Add to the onions and garlic.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the yogurt and cottage cheese and season to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the aubergines on both sides until golden. Drain on kitchen roll.
- Arrange a third of the aubergines in an oven-proof dish. Cover with half the tomato mixture and then top with half the yogurt mixture. Repeat the layers, finishing with aubergines.
- Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese and cook in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for 35 to 40 minutes.
This Aubergine and Tomato Pie Recipe serves 4. A satisfying dish as the centre of a vegetarian meal or with lamb