Ingredients for Peas with Brown Rice and Tomatoes:
- 1 lb (450 g) peas
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- ½ lb (225 g) brown rice
- 2 oz (56 g) streaky bacon
- 1 large onion
- 1 pint (570 ml) chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Method for Peas with Brown Rice and Tomatoes :
- Remove the rind and chop or cut the bacon into thin strips. Peel and chop the onion. Blanch and peel the tomatoes and cut into quarters – removing the seeds if preferred.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the bacon and onion and fry for about 3 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomatoes to the pan, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the brown rice and chicken stock with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Shell the peas and add to the pan. Continue to cook, covered, for 20 minutes or so more until the rice is tender but still or the chewy side, the peas are cooked and all the stock has been absorbed.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with the grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
This Peas with Brown Rice and Tomatoes Recipe serves 4 and makes a filling, healthy meal on its own. Omit the bacon and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock then increase the amount of cheese to make this a vegetarian meal,
Leave a Comment Here on Peas with Brown Rice and Tomatoes Recipe