Ingredients for Parsnip, Tomato and Cheese Casserole :
- 1 ½ lb (675 g) parsnips
- 8 oz (225 g) tomatoes
- 4 oz (112 g) Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ pint (150 ml) plain yogurt
Method for Parsnip, Tomato and Cheese Casserole:
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5 (375°F/190°C).
- Cut off the tops of the parsnips and scrub with a stiff brush. Cut into thin slices.
- Slice the tomatoes and grate the Gruyere cheese.
- Put a layer of sliced parsnips into a lightly greased casserole. Cover with a layer of tomato slices. Sprinkle with some of the grated cheese and salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of parsnips. Spread the yogurt over the top and sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese.
- Cover the dish and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the parsnips are nearly tender.
- Uncover the dish and carry on baking for 10 to 15 minutes until the top is crisp and browned.
- Serve hot.
This Parsnip, Tomato and Cheese Casserole Recipe serves 4. It goes well with some plain boiled rice. Very satisfying and vegetarian too – useful when seating vegetarians and carnivores around the dinner table.