Although this recipe is called Mediterranean Broccoli it should really be called Mediterranean Calabrese.
The supermarkets wrongly call calabrese broccoli so no wonder most of us are confused! Calabrese is the late cropping brassica but broccoli is the early season purple sprouting
Ingredients for Mediterranean Broccoli:
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ lb (225 g) tomatoes
- ¼ pint (150 ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 8 stuffed olives
- 1 medium-size broccoli (calabrese) head
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Method for Mediterranean Broccoli :
- Chop the onion. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and crushed garlic clove. Fry for around 3 minutes.
- Blanch and peel the tomatoes, slice and add to the onions. Pour the chicken or vegetable stock into the pan and add the chopped oregano.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 2 minutes. Stir in the stuffed olives.
- Divide the broccoli (calabrese) head into large florets, wash well and add to the pan.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
Mediterranean Broccoli Recipe Serves 4. This recipe can be suitable for vegetarians if vegetable stock is used instead of chicken stock.