Recipe for Leek & Caerphilly Pudding sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Leek and Caerphilly Pudding:
For the Pastry:
- 4 oz Beef or Vegetarian Suet
- 8 oz self raising flour (white or brown)
- ¾ oz cold water
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and white pepper
- ½ teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda
For the Filling:
- ½ pint of Caerphilly (or any crumbly white cheese) cheese sauce
- 1 lb sliced fresh leeks.
- 1 mild onion thinly sliced.
Method for Leek and Caerphilly Pudding:
- Mix the suet, flour, bi-carbonate of soda, salt and pepper then add enough water to make a non sticky dough.
- Sauté leeks and onions, until just soft.
- Prepare a pudding bowl, lightly grease inside with oil or margarine.
- Roll out 2/3rd of dough to line your dish.
- Put the cooked leeks & onions into lined bowl & add sauce.
- Then roll out 1/3rd to make a lid for the pie.
- Cover top of pudding bowl with a loose covering of cling film.
- Chill till nearly ready to serve.
- Then microwave at power 600/750 watts for 9 mins, serve instantly. Or you can steam this pudding for 1 and a half hours in a pot of boiling water.
This Leek and Caerphilly Pudding is a different and Welsh take on suet pudding. A change from your average Steak and Kidney!
Granny Dumplin actually lives in Ceredigion, so no surprise when this recipe appeared. More on suet pastry here: