Ingredients for Mushroom Flan:
- 6 oz (175 g) shortcrust pastry made with wholemeal flour
- 8 oz (225 g) mushrooms
- ½ lemon
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and pepper.
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
Method for Mushroom Flan:
- Roll out the pastry and line an 8″ (20 cm) flan ring or dish with it. Prick the bottom of the case with a fork. Cover the base with a circle of greased paper and put bread crusts or hard beans on the paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 20 minutes. Remove from the flan dish or ring, discard the paper and beans 5 minutes before the flan case has finished cooking.
- Reduce the oven temperature to Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C).
- Wash and slice the mushrooms. Put them into a saucepan with the grated rind and juice of ½ lemon, 2 sprigs of thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan and heat gently for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Strain the mushrooms and reserve the juice. Put the mushrooms into the flan case.
- Beat 2 eggs with ¼ pint (150 ml) of milk and the reserved mushroom juice. Season to taste.
- Pour over the mushrooms and bake for 30 minutes until set.
This delicious mushroom flan can be eaten hot or cold. The most important thing is to use good quality, flavourful mushrooms.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...