Ingredients for Sweetcorn Flan:
- 6 oz (175 g) shortcrust pastry
- ½ lb (225 g) cooked sweetcorn kernels
- ¼ lb (112 g) cooked ham
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
- 1 small onion
- Salt and Pepper
Method for Sweetcorn Flan:
- Roll out the pastry and line an 8″ (20 cm) flan ring or dish with it. Prick the bottom of the case with a fork. Cover the base with a circle of greased paper and put bread crusts or hard beans on the paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 20 minutes. Remove from the flan dish or ring, discard the paper and beans 5 minutes before the flan case has finished cooking.
- Reduce the temperature to Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C).
- Spread ½ lb (225 g) of cooked sweetcorn kernels and ¼ lb (112 g) of chopped cooked ham in the pastry case.
- Beat 2 eggs with ¼ lb (150 ml) of milk. Grate in 1 small onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case and bake for 25 minutes until set.
This sweetcorn flan is just full of flavour and tastes delicious both hot and cold. When catering for a party buffet, flans and quiches are ideal. Easy to make, can be batch baked and will store for a day or three in the fridge.
Like most flans, this sweetcorn flan can be frozen and will keep well for up to 3 months.