Ingredients for Jerusalem Chicken:
- 4 free-range chicken quarters
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 lb (450 g) Jerusalem artichokes
- 6 oz (175 g) mushrooms
- ½ lemon
- 4 sprigs thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 pint (570 ml) chicken stock
Method for Jerusalem Chicken :
- Heat the corn oil in a large saucepan and add the chicken quarters, fry until they are brown and the juices sealed in. Remove from the pan.
- Chop the onions and put them into the saucepan and saute until tender. Add the chicken stock and the grated rind and juice of half a lemon, the sprigs of thyme and salt and pepper.
- Peel the Jerusalem artichokes, coarsely dice and add them to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and put the chicken pieces back in. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Re-cover and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken pieces and put them in a warm serving dish. Garnish with a few of the slices of mushrooms and diced artichoke.
- Put the remaining vegetables and stock through a liquidiser and blend to a smooth puree.
- Pour over the chicken and serve hot.
This Jerusalem Chicken Recipe gives 4 good helpings. Serve with other vegetables of your choice but goes really well with green beans and baby new potatoes.