Ingredients for Leek Flan:
- 6 oz (175 g) short crust pastry
- 1½ lbs (700 g) leeks
- 4 oz (112 g) butter
- 2 oz (56 g) flour
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 3 oz (84 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
Method for Leek Flan:
- Roll out the short crust pastry and use to line an 8″ (20 cm) flan ring or case. Put into the fridge to chill whilst you’re preparing the filling.
- Top and tail the leeks and then cut from the top end down the middle, splay and wash thoroughly. Cut crossways into thin slices.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the leeks, cover and reduce the heat, simmer for about 15 minutes until soft stirring occasionally.
- Stir the flour into the leeks and gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper (and grated nutmeg if liked).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the flan case and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
This Leek Flan Recipe serves 4 . Absolutely delicious hot with baked spuds. Also lovely cold.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...