Ingredients for Tomato Pie:
- 8 oz (225 g) short crust pastry
- 4 oz (112 g) breadcrumbs
- 3 oz (84 g) grated cheese
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh tomatoes
- 1 shallot or small onion
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley to garnish
Method for Tomato Pie:
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a pie dish.
- Mix together 2 oz (56 g) breadcrumbs and 2 oz (56 g) cheese.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the pastry. Cover with thick slices of skinned tomatoes and thinly sliced onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the remainder of the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400 °F/200°C) for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with little sprigs of parsley.
This tomato pie really depends on the tomatoes, of course. Best made with full sized, strongly flavoured tomatoes rather than cherry types. For the cheese, a mature strong cheddar works best.
This Tomato Pie Recipe serves 4