Ingredients for Cheese and Potato Balls:
- 1 lb (450 g) cooked potatoes
- 4 oz mature cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 or 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 2 – 3 oz breadcrumbs
Method for Cheese and Potato Balls:
- Mash the potatoes and beat until smooth.
- If they are still warm, scoop into a dish and chill in the fridge.
- Add the grated cheese, mustard and salt and pepper and enough beaten egg to make a stiff mixture.
- Turn onto a floured board and shape into balls.
- Brush the balls with more beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Fry in deep hot fat until golden brown.
- Drain carefully onto crumpled kitchen roll.
It may be better to do in batches. If so, once all the potato balls are fried, transfer the balls onto a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for five minutes at 400˚F (200˚C).
A great way of using up any leftover mashed potatoes and can be eaten as a starter, part of a meal, or just as a snack.