Ingredients for Cheese Turnovers:
- 6 oz (175 g) flaky pastry
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 free-range egg
- 2 oz (56 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and cayenne pepper
Method for Cheese Turnovers:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the grated cheese and beaten egg with the mustard, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cook on a low heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens.
- Roll out the flaky pastry thinly and cut into rounds using a 4″ (10 cm) pastry cutter.
- Put a little of the mixture on each round of pastry.
- Dampen the edges of the pastry, fold over and seal the edges well.
- Lay out on a wet baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 20 minutes.
A simple and easy recipe to make cheese turnovers – especially if you use ready-made flaky pastry. Delicious!
You can also add some finely chopped cooked onions to the filling.
Makes 4 cheese turnovers.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. A delicious and rich pastry used for sweet and savoury pies, eg sausage rolls and cream slices. Flaky pastry is a little harder to make than most pastries as the flaky texture is achieved...