Ingredients for Vegetable Flan:
- 6 oz (175 g) fleur pastry
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g) flour
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 6 oz (175 g) cooked vegetables (peas and sweet corn kernels work well)
- 2 oz (56 g) grated cheese
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
Method for Vegetable Flan:
- Make the fleur pastry, omitting the sugar but adding a dash of cayenne pepper to the mixture before the egg yolk is added.
- Roll out the pastry and line an 8″ (20 cm) flan ring or dish with it. Prick the bottom of the case with a fork. Cover the base with a circle of greased paper and put bread crusts or hard beans on the paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 20 minutes. Remove from the flan dish or ring, discard the paper and beans 5 minutes before the flan case has finished cooking.
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter in a pan, stirriing in the flour, and gradually adding the milk, stirring continuously until it thickens. Bring to the boil and then gently simmer, still stirring all the time for about 5 minutes to cook the flour.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the sauce and allow them to heat through thoroughly. Season to taste.
- Turn into the hot flan case, sprinkle with grated cheese and put under a hot grill for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
- Decorate with hard-boiled eggs cut into quarters and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These articles compliment our recipes section. Fleur pastry is usually used for sweet flans such as peach and apricot. It can, however, also be used in place of normal shortcrust pastry , without the sugar, for a slightly richer savoury flan or ...